500g pork belly with skin
2 spring onions
2 inch ginger, sliced
pinch of pepper
Sauces & Seasoning
50g rock sugar (or brown sugar)
5 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Light Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Dark Soy Sauce
1 tbsp Lee Kum Kee Premium Oyster Sauce
2 tbsp Shao Xing Wine
1 cinnamon stick
3 star anise
- Dice pork belly into 1 inch cubes and blanch for 5 minutes until the pork changes colour. * (watch the video on how to prepare pork here!)
- Remove the pork, then rinse with cold water, drain and set aside.
- Heat up the oil in the wok and sauté the spring onion and ginger.
- Turn up the heat, add in pork and stir-fry for 3 minutes.
- Add in the sauce mix and bring to boil before turning down the heat and simmer for 1 hour, or until the pork is tender and can be pierced through easily. (watch the video recipe here)
- Serve hot garnished with spring onion greens and/or sliced chillies. Best enjoyed with steamed rice.
Blanching “出水” (chū shuǐ), before red braising pork is very important. This pre-treatment is to remove scum and strong taste from the meat and keep the cooking sauce clean. It can also seal in the natural juice of the pre-cut meats to keep it tender.
This dish can be prepared in advance. For best results reheat it by steaming and add in additional sauce before serving.